If you have a number of PDFs which you want to rename so that they have date-prefixed names describing their content - e.g. 2014-04-30 Letter John Smith to Jane Jones the procedure below can be used to do this quickly.
1. Install Nuance Power PDF or similar software to allow PDFs to be displayed in the Preview pane.
2. Open the folder containing the PDFs, and click View - Preview pane (if not already selected) to bring up the preview pane on the right hand side.
3. Click on the top listed PDF. The first page of the PDF will appear in the preview pane.
4. Press F2. The PDF file name will become editable.
5. Type in the name to be given to that PDF (you can decide what file name to give it by looking at the date, name of sender, etc. displayed on the first page of the PDF in the preview pane).
6. Press Enter
7. Press the cursor-down button (on your keyboard). This will make the PDF file name of the next file down turn blue, and, at the same time, will cause the first page of that PDF to be displayed in the preview pane on the right. Press F2 and repeat steps 4 to 6 to rename this PDF.
8. Repeat steps 4 to 6 until you have renamed all the PDFs.
The above instructions are based on Windows 8.1 and Nuance Power PDF v1.1. Other versions can be used but there may be slight differences in panel layout.
This page was lasted updated in April 2016. Disclaimer