Obtaining Documents from the Land Registry

Land Registration - an introduction

Most of the land in England is now registered. When registration of land commenced in the 19th Century, the intention was that the register would completely define title to land so that, once land was registered, it would be unnecessary to refer to any other documents. It became apparent, however, fairly early on, that such a rigid system had its drawbacks. Neighbours who had lived happily together for years with a boundary which was not precise on the ground, became aggrieved once a title plan was registered at the Land Registry defining a precise boundary position with which one or other of the neighbours disagreed. A boundary dispute was thus created where none had existed before. 

The current system of land registration, which is now in the Land Registration Act 2002, represents a hybrid system where much of the information about title to land can be found in the Register of Title and Title Plan themselves, but the Title Plan does not purport to show anything other than approximate boundaries, and other documents filed under the title number, some but not all of which are mentioned in the Register of Title, may need to be consulted to determine the exact boundaries and for certain other purposes such as ascertaining who can enforce restrictive covenants. Also there are some legal rights, known as overriding interests, which are binding on a purchaser of land even though not referred to on the register.

The two basic documents registered under each title number are

  • the Register of Title, which contains a brief description of the land, the name of the registered proprietor (owner), and some information about some rights which other landowners may have over the land (such as restrictive covenants restricting how the land can be used). The date next to the first entry in section A (Property Register) of the Register of Title is the date the land now in the title number was registered for the first time (not necessarily the date that this title number was created because the current title number may have been created when a piece of already registered land was split in two). 
  • the Title Plan which shows the boundaries of the registered land on a plan based on an Ordnance Survey map. The boundaries shown on the Title Plan are general boundaries - i.e. only approximate boundaries.
Because, under the current system of land registration, the Title Plan only shows approximate boundaries, if the exact boundary needs to be determined it may be necessary to look, in the first instance, at historical documents. For example, if part of a piece of registered land is sold off a Transfer of Part document, which contains a plan of the land being sold off, is signed by the seller and sent by the buyer to the Land Registry who then create a new Register of Title and Title Plan with a new title number for the land sold off, and amend the Title Plan for the existing title number to show the reduced area of land. The new Title Plans for each title number, however, only show the new approximate boundaries so if there is any question as to where the exact boundary between the two titles is, it is the Transfer of Part document itself which must be consulted. The Transfer of Part document should be filed under the title number so that anyone, on request, and payment of a small fee, can obtain an official copy of it.

In the case of boundaries which already existed at the time land was first registered, it is necessary to look at the conveyances (a conveyance is the equivalent, for unregistered land, of a transfer) by which the owner who applied for first registration of the land, proved his title to the land. The Application Form for First Registration filed under the title will show (usually on an attached List of Documents form) the conveyances which accompanied it, and copies copies of the conveyances themselves, may be filed under the title number so that anyone can obtain a copy.            


Rights over Land

A landowner may have rights over their neighbour's land. For example they may have an easement such as a right of way over the neighbour's land, or they may have a right to enforce a restrictive covenant preventing the neighbour's land being used for anything other than residential purposes. The general intention behind the system of land registration is that a buyer of land should not be caught out by finding that land he has bought is subject to some burden or restriction which he was not aware of. This purpose, which does not always work 100% of the time, is achieved partly by the principle that many rights, if they are not registered against land, will be lost when the land is sold. However there are some rights, generally rights which should be obvious from investigation of the land, which are known as overriding interests, which are not lost when land is sold even if they are not mentioned on the Register of Title. An example of an overriding interest is a right of way which is visible on the ground (e.g. because of a made up, or worn, track, a gate or stile, or something else which indicates that one landowner is walking, driving, riding etc. over another's land). A restrictive covenant is an example of an interest which is not an overriding interest, so that, if not registered against the burdened land, it would normally be lost when that land is sold.

In the Register of Title of burdened land, there may be a detailed description of the burden followed by a reference to the document which created the burden, or there may simply be a reference to the document which created the burden, e.g.

A conveyance of the land in this title and other land, dated 30 June 1930 made between James Joyce and Tom Jones contains restrictive covenants. NOTE Copy filed.                   

In either case, it is the document which created the burden itself which needs to be consulted for full details of the burden.

Obtaining Official Copies of The Register of Title and Title Plan

Anyone is entitled, on payment of a small fee, to obtain a copy of the Register of Title and Title Plan for any title number. This can be done by completing form OC1 and sending it to the Land Registry.

Obtaining Official Copies of Documents Filed at the Land Registry under a title number

Anyone is entitled, on payment of a small fee, to request (using form OC2) an Official Copy of any document filed under any title number if it is either (1) referred to in the Register of Title or (2) a document relating to an application made to the Land Registry.

It is best to use a separate OC2 form for each title number to be searched for copies of documents. See here for more details of how to fill in an OC2 form.

Missing Documents

Unfortunately documents are often "missing" and not filed under a title number. As well as the possibility of documents having been destroyed by fire or water or having been lost through clerical error, the Land Registry has, though different periods of its history, operated different policies as to what documents it required to be sent to it when an application was made to register land, what documents it then retained copies of, and what documents it simply examined and then returned to the applicant (or destroyed) without a copy being filed. For example at one stage the terms of restrictive covenants were simply reproduced in the Register of Title and a copy of the document creating the covenant itself was not filed. Only later was it fully appreciated that, for certain purposes, future landowners might need to examine a copy of the actual document imposing the covenant to ascertain the identity of the benefiting land. The Land Registry has also, at times during its history, purged what were seen as unnecessary documents from its paper files only to realise too late that what it had destroyed might be needed in future. 

If you are looking for a "missing" document, there a number of places you can try.

1. When you request a copy of a document, using form OC2, you have to specify the title number which the document is filed under and the Land Registry will only look under that title number for the document. But if a document is not found under one title number you could try the title numbers of surrounding properties by submitting OC2 forms for those. You can use the Map Enquiry facility on the Land Registry website to find the title numbers of surrounding land. Quite often a document will be relevant to more than one title and so, if it is not filed under one title number, you can try another. Based on local knowledge, historical maps, and/or the ages and types of various buildings you may be able to guess that a certain area of land, which is now subdivided into different title numbers, used to be in common ownership. For example, there might be an old large house, which was originally surrounded by pasture land, and there are now newer houses built on what was the pasture land (the old house may still exist or may have been demolished). If you are looking for a conveyance relevant to one of the titles a copy could potentially be filed under one or more of the other titles because when each piece of land is registered for the first time under a title number, the conveyances which prove title, which have to be sent to the Land Registry, will typically include both a conveyance of the larger piece of land, and conveyances for neighbouring land showing which parts of the larger piece of land have already been sold off.

2. Even if the land you are interested in is unregistered land it is often possible to find documents relevant to it filed under nearby registered land. Land is registered for the first time upon the first sale after compulsory registration was introduced in the area, so, in the example above of an old large house, it is possible that the newer houses built in what was its surrounding land, have now been registered and will have conveyances filed under their title numbers which are relevant to the unregistered land on which the old house stands.

3. It you are not looking for a specific identified document but simply want to piece together the history of a piece of land and so are really looking for all conveyances before a certain date, you can start by obtaining the Application for First Registration and any accompanying list of documents to give you the dates of conveyances and simply submit OC2 forms for all conveyances mentioned, and for any other documents mentioned which might list further conveyances (such as an Abstract of Title of Epitome of Title) - and also for any further conveyances actually referred to in the Register of Title. 

4. Landowners may have documents which were sent to them by their conveyancing solicitor filed away. They may be documents kept purely out of interest or may be kept because they contain important information of a type which would not be entered on the land register such as wayleaves and short leases. If the land is unregistered land, the original documents will also be proof of title and will be kept securely by the landowner often at the landowner's bank or building society. 

5. Sometimes historical land documents find their way to county record offices or the National Archives. 

Local Land Charges

Some burdens over land created by local authorities – district councils and London boroughs - known as local land charges are kept in a separate register. An example is a tree preservation order. Planning permission in principle benefits land by allowing specified development but when planning permission is given often it is subject to some condition (such as planting trees to screen a new building) and that condition is a burden which is in the register of local land charges. A management scheme under s.19 of the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 (giving a residents' association some control over development and use of enfranchised freehold properties) is also a burden. The local land charges register does not contain any filed documents but only gives brief details of each charge together with a reference number and the address of an organisation (usually a local authority) from which further information about the charge, and documents relating to the charge, can be obtained. Such information can reveal matters beyond the immediate purpose of the charge such as who the occupier or owner of land was at a particular time, and how the land was being used.

You can search the register of local land charges held by the Land Registry. 


This information page is designed to be used only by clients of John Antell who have entered into an agreement for the provision of legal services. The information in it is necessarily of a general nature and is intended to be used only in conjunction with specific advice to the individual client about the individual case. This information page should not be used by, or relied on, by anyone else.

The information on this page about specific computer techniques is provided for information purposes only. Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the information is accurate and up to date at the time it was written but no responsibility for its accuracy, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by me. You should satisfy yourself, before using any of the techniques, software or services described, that the techniques are appropriate for your purposes and that the software or service is reliable.

This page was lasted updated in August 2019 Disclaimer