You should take great care to ensure that the bundle is correct and complete before copies are sent out. If, despite best endeavours, you discover, after some or all of the copies of the bundle have been sent out, that a page or two is missing from a document in the bundle, for example that the second and third pages of a four page letter have been missed out, it is essential that steps are taken to insert the missing pages in all copies of the bundle, including those already sent out, because the copies of the bundle used by the judge and by the parties and their barristers must be absolutely identical. It is also essential that the new pages are numbered in a way which does not disturb the existing page numbering of the bundle. (This is because each party’s barrister, and possibly also the judge, may already have started to prepare for the trial, noting down the page numbers of documents. It would cause untold confusion if the page numbers change.) So you should use sub-numbering for the additional page to be inserted. For example, if the pages to be inserted are the missing second and third pages of a four page letter whose first page is numbered 138 and whose fourth page is numbered 139, the pages you are inserting would be numbered 138A and 138B (or 138.01 and 138.02).
You could simply print out copies of the missing pages, mark the page number on them, in the bottom right, using a black pen, and physically deliver them to the other side for them to insert in their copies of the bundle. However if time is short you might want to email them to the other side instead. In this case you could scan in the page marked up with the page number. However printing out, marking up, and then scanning back in reduces the quality of the page, which might be a problem if, for example, the page contains a photograph or fine drawing. In this case you need to use PDF software to add the page number using the procedure below.
1. Create a folder named e.g. Bundle for Hearing – Inserts for Pages Missed out.
2. Copy the PDF file containing consecutive extra pages into the Bundle for Hearing – Inserts for Pages Missed out folder.
3. Work out where the pages should be inserted in the bundle and therefore what page sub-numbers they should have.
4. Add the page sub-numbers to the PDF. The instructions in (a.) to (d.) below are for PDF Studio Pro but most PDF software, including Nuance Power PDF, and Adobe Acrobat can be used to add sub-numbers.
d.) Click Apply and then Save and Close the PDF.
5. Print out copies of the PDF in the Bundle for Hearing – Inserts for Pages Missed out folder, hole punch them and insert them at the appropriate place in your copy of the Bundle, and into any other copies of the Bundle which you have not yet sent out.
6. For those copies of the Bundle which you have already sent out, proceed as follows.